Follow Us  


Listed below are common construction terms and definitions listed alphabetically.Click Here To Expand ALL Definitions


Air Leakage (AL)
measures the rate at which air passes through joints. AL is measured in cubic feet of air passing through one square foot of area per minute. The lower the AL value, the less air leakage. Most industry standards and building codes require an AL of 0.3 cf·m/ft2.
Aluminum-Clad Wood
Exterior wood parts covered in Aluminum with a factory applied finish to deter the elements.
An inert, nontoxic gas used in insulating glass units to reduce heat transfer.
A vertical molding that closes the clearance gap between a pair of hinged doors.
One sash that hinges from the top and swing outward.


Balance A mechanical device (normally spring-loaded) used in single and double-hung windows as a means of counterbalancing the weight of the sash during opening and closing.
Bay and Bow Angled or curved combinations of windows that extend outward to maximize your view.
Blocking Resistance The capability of a paint, when applied to two surfaces that touch, not to stick to itself.


Caming Metal parts of the glass design. Metal options include lead, brass, copper, zinc (silver), or patina (black).
Casement One hinged sash that swings outward from the side.
Casing A wooden trim around doors that covers seam between jamb and wall.
Check Rail The bottom horizontal member of the upper sash and the top horizontal member of the lower sash which meet at the middle of a double-hung window.
Condensation Resistance measures how well the window resists water build-up. Condensation Resistance is scored on a scale from 0 to 100. The higher the condensation resistance factor, the less build-up the window allows.
Cylinder Bore Refers to a machining procedure that requires a round hole to accommodate a standard entry set.


Door Bumper Placed on wall behind door, bumpers prevent scratching, denting and general damage to door by cushioning or deflecting impact.
Door Roller Located on the bottom of a sliding door, they give the door the ability to slide.
Double-Hung Two sashes that slide vertically to open, shut or position to provide more efficient ventilation. Raise the lower sash to allow in a cool breeze. Lower the upper sash to pull hot air from the ceiling outside.
Dust pads Small, cloth-like pads used to seal the gap at the corner of a window or door.


ENERGY STAR® A joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency [EPA] and the U.S. Department of Energy {DOE} helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy- efficient products and practices.
Entry The main entrance to your home, usually facing the street.


Fiberglass composite Fiberglass and other materials bonded together.
Fixed Panel An inoperable panel of a sliding window.
Frame Corner Construction Wood frame corners are sealed and mechanically fastened three ways—with a mortise-and-tendon joint, a sealant and a metal fastener—for exceptional strength and performance.
Fixed Sliding Panel An inoperable panel of a sliding glass door. Also known as passive door panel.
Flush Bolt Bolts mounted in a door to lock a door in place. They are primarily used on double doors where one door is locked in place and the other door is the one mainly used (active door).
Footbolt A type of door-securing bolt that is applied at the bottom of a door, and is designed for foot operation.


Gaskets Rubber strips applied to the top and sides of doors, and into doube-hung and sliding window channels, to seal out air and water.
Glazing Another word for the glass in windows and doors.
Glass A frame sheet of glass within a window sash frame
Grilles Any bar that divides window glass into smaller panes. Also called a muntin, grid or window pane divider.


Head The main horizontal part forming the top of the window frame.
Hinged Patio Door Panel Door made mainly from glass that swings in or out.
Hinged Glass Panel The room side glass panel on Designer Series® windows and patio doors that opens to allow access to our snap-in between-the-glass blinds, shades, decorative panels and grilles.


Insulated Glass Two sheets of glass with a sealed airspace in between them.
In-Swing Door The combination of the head, jambs and sill that forms a precise opening in which a door slabs fits.
Insulated Foam Core An insulation material inside the door panel that contributes to the door's energy efficiency (fiberglass and steel doors only)
Interlocker An upright frame member of a panel in a sliding glass door which engages with a corresponding member in an adjacent panel when the door is closed.


Jamb The main vertical parts forming the sides of a window frame.
Jambliner A strip which goes on the sides of a window frame to provide a snug fit for the sash


Keylock Cylinder The cylndrical sub-assembly of a lock containing a cylinder plug with keyway and a cylinder body with tumbler mechanisms.


Lift Handle for raising the lower sash in a double-hung window. Also called sash lift.
Lock A locking mechanism located on the top or side of a window.
Lock Strike The opening that received the bolt of a window or door lock.
Low-E Low Emissivity coatings on window glass that reflect heat energy and block the sun's fading rays.


Multipoint Lock A locking system, operated with one handle, that secures a window or door at two or more locking points.
Mortise and Tenon Joint A joint where one piece of wood is inserted into another.




Operator Crank-operated device for opening and closing casement or awning style windows.
Optional Multipoint Locking System Features three dual-action deadbolts that extend into the door frame when engaged for added security.
Out-Swing When the door swings to the outside of a house when opened. All commercial entrance doors operated in this manner as per building code. Some residential storm doors as well.


Panel The part of door that swings open and closed.




R-Value Indicates the resistance to heat flow through a window, door or wall.
Rail Horizontal member of a window sash on a double-hung or single-hung.


Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) Measures the fraction of solar energy transmitted and tells you how well the product blocks heat caused by sunlight. SHGC is measured on a scale of 0 to 1; values typically range from 0.25 to 0.80. The lower the SHGC, the less solar heat the window transmits.
Sash A single assembly of stiles and rails made into a frame for holding glass
Sill The main horizontal part forming the bottom of the frame of a window.
Sill Track The track provided at the sill of a sliding glass door
Sash Lock Strike A look attached to the sashes of a double hung window that can fit both in the shut position. It will secure the window and reduces rattling
Screen Woven mesh of metal, plastic or fiberglass stretched over a window opening to permit air to pass through, but not insects.
Shim is a thin and often tapered or wedged piece of material, used to fill small gaps or spaces between objects.
Screen Strike A device fixed in or on a screen into which the lock or latch bolt engages when the window is closed.
Single-Hung Looks like a double-hung window but only the bottom sash slides vertically to open and shit. Top sash is fixed.
Sliding One fixed sash and one operable sash that slides open or shut horizontally - ideal for difficult to reach areas.
Sliding Patio Panels made mainly from glass; one panel slides horizontally to open and close one panel remains fixed. [non-operational]
Special Shapes Rectangular, curved or angled windows. Used by themselves as an accent or with other windows or doors.
Strike Plate A metal plate affixed to a door jamb with a hole or holes for the bolt of the door. When the door is closed, the bolt extends into the hole in thestrike plate, and holds the door closed. The strike plate protects the jamb against friction from the bolt, and increases security in the case of a jamb made of a softer material (such as wood) than the strike plate.
Storm Door Used with an entry door for added protection from the elements, energy efficiency, light and ventilation.
Steel Deadbolt Reinforcement Plate Provides added security by reinforcing the deadbolt and strengthening the door frame (single in-swing doors only).
Sidelights The fixed glass panels that are attached on either side of the door frame.


Threshold The separation that lies at the bottom of a sliding glass door or winging door; the sill of a doorway.
Thumbturn The component that projects or retracts a dead bolt or latch bolt by grasping with the thumb and fingers and turning. Also called a "turnkey"
Transom The fixed glass panel that is installed above the door.


U-Factor Measures the rate of head transfer values generally range from 0.25 to 1.25 and are measured in BTU/H·Ft2·°F


Vinyl A sustainable, high-grade resin or polymer material.
Vent The movable framework or sash in a glazed window that is hinged or pivoted to swing open.


Weatherstripping A strip of resilient material for covering the joint between the window sash and frame in order to reduce air leaks and prevent water from entering the structure.
Weatherstripping System Bulb-and-leaf or foam compression weatherstripping systems helps prevent air and water infiltration.
Weep Holes The individual openings provided in the window sill to allow water or condensation to escape.
Weep System A series of tiny openings in the sill that allow unwanted moisture to drain to the outside.

W terms





© Howard Quality Window Inc.